Low price mopeds typically do not come with high-quality components. However, when scooters with a seat are cheap and equipped with great features, the motor scooter in question tends to sell out in a short amount of time.
One of the best examples of this phenomenon is the Honda Ruckus.
Honda Ruckus Moped
The Honda Ruckus is equipped with only the bare essentials. For example, the cushioned seat of the moped is attached to the top of a square, hollow metal frame, which appears to be bolted onto the engine casing. Although this metallic, elevated platform is unusual, Honda was able to achieve the following goals with the unique design.
- Create extra storage space under the scooter seat
- Increase the seat height to a comfortable level
- Minimize the amount of material used in the moped frame to lower the MSRP
Beyond the unique seat placement everything else on the moped appears to be on par with modern scooter designs. For example, here is a quick rundown of what the 2020 and 2022 Honda Ruckus offers moped fans.
- 49cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke engine
- 18mm CV carburetor induction
- 37.8mm x 44mm bore & stroke
- Compression ratio of 11.9:1
- One speed automatic V-Matic belt drive transmission
- Twin-downtube fork front suspension
- Single shock rear suspension
- Front and rear drum breaks
- 120/90-10 front tire
- 130/90-10 back tire
- 49.8 inch wheelbase
- Seat height of 28.9 inches
- Weighs 194 lbs
- 1.3 gallon gas tank
Given the similarity in components, it is safe to suggest the 2022 Honda Ruckus has similar performance stats as the 2020 model. Therefore, the cheap moped that is due to launch this year likely has a max speed of 40 mph, and gets about 114 miles per gallon just like previous moped models.
New Look of the Honda Ruckus
The 2020 Honda Ruckus is only available in two shades. Black, or white and red. Although this iconic, minimalistic look is desired, the shades are not necessarily as flattering as possible. So, Honda opted to make the new 2022 moped model more consumer friendly by selling the motor scooter in three new colors. Midnight blue with tan, gray, or white with metallic blue.
Thanks to these color combinations, Honda was able to give the Ruckus a new look without significantly increasing the MSRP. Speaking of which, the 2020 Honda Ruckus is available for $2,749, plus a $200 delivery fee and any applicable taxes.
To compare, the new 2022 Honda Ruckus is only $50 more, at $2,799. This similarity in price is indicative of the aptly maintained minimalistic design. However, the slight increase in price is largely due to the new color options and a few added extras, such as the following.
- New electric starter makes it easier to start the moped engine in cold weather
- Process to turn on the motor scooter reduced to simply turning a key and pressing the on button
Bintelli Powersports, located in Charleston, South Carolina is your one stop shop for golf carts, LSVs, motorcycles, atvs, dirt bikes, scooters, mopeds, go karts, and more. Nationwide shipping and financing is available! Give them a call at (843) 405-8366 or visit them online!